Willamette and Lewis & Clark Tie in Women's Soccer, 0-0 in Two Overtimes

Kristen Barclay (Fr., GK, Kenmore, WA/Cedar Park Christian School)
Kristen Barclay (Fr., GK, Kenmore, WA/Cedar Park Christian School)

By Robert McKinney, Assistant Athletics Director, Communications

SALEM, Ore. -- Willamette University and Lewis & Clark College battled in a Northwest Conference women's soccer game on Saturday, Nov. 5 for 110 minutes, including two 10-minute overtimes, as the Bearcats and the Pioneers played to a 0-0 tie at Sparks Field. Willamette moved to 8-8-3 on the season, 5-7-3 in the Northwest Conference. Lewis & Clark ended the game with a 5-12-2 overall record, 4-9-2 in the NWC.

Hannah Osmundson earned four saves while playing the entire game for Lewis & Clark. Emily Sewall (Sr., GK, Petaluma, CA/Casa Grande HS) made one save for Willamette in the first half, while Kristen Barclay (Fr., GK, Kenmore, WA/Cedar Park Christian School) registered three saves for the Bearcats over the final 65 minutes.

Willamette gained an 11-10 advantage in total shots, while each team earned four shots on goal. Shanna Keil (Fr., M, Danville, CA/San Ramon Valley HS) led the Bearcats with three shots, while Liz Stewart (So., D/F, Sisters, OR/Sisters HS/Texas Christian University) and Emmy Manset (Jr., F, Ventura, CA/Foothill Technology HS) each took two shots on goal.

Anna Saucedo and Isobel Fikso recorded three shots apiece for L&C. Fikso placed two of her shots on goal, while Saucedo achieved one shot on goal.

The Pioneers had more of the possession in the first half and the opening 35 minutes of the second half, but the shooting statistics were nearly even throughout the game. L&C's top chance may have been a shot by Anna Saucedo that Barclay saved just 23 seconds into the second half.

Willamette kept more possession in the final 10 minutes of regulation, but managed just one shot during that time. Stewart's shot at 81:03 was saved by Osmundson. Rochelle Jordan of Lewis & Clark sent a shot wide at 85:41.

Each team took two shots in the first overtime and one shot in the second overtime.

In the first overtime, a shot by WU's Kate Matthews (So., M, Bainbridge Island, WA/Bainbridge HS) missed high at 96:48. A shot from Fikso of L&C was easily saved by Barclay at 99:13. Each team also had one shot blocked during the overtime session.

Manset provided Willamette with a shot at 104:07 in the second overtime, but Osmundson registered a save on the play. Later, a shot by Sarah Howard for the Pioneers never go near the goal as it was blocked by a Willamette defender at 108:25.

Willamette will close out the season on Sunday, Nov. 6, when the Bearcats host George Fox University at 11 a.m. (PST) on Sparks Field. The Bruins edged Willamette, 1-0 in two overtimes, on Oct. 9 in Newberg, Oregon, when GFU scored a controversial goal with two seconds left in the second overtime.