Sato Scores Opening Goal before Whitworth Claims 2-1 Win in Overtime

Ryan Sato (So., MF, Sunnyvale, CA/Homestead HS)
Ryan Sato (So., MF, Sunnyvale, CA/Homestead HS)

By Robert McKinney, Assistant Athletics Director, Communications

SPOKANE, Wash. -- Ryan Sato (So., MF, Sunnyvale, CA/Homestead HS) of Willamette University scored the game's first goal just 6:18 after the opening kickoff, but Whitworth University rallied for a 2-1 win in overtime, during a Northwest Conference men's soccer match-up on Saturday, Nov. 2. The loss moved Willamette to 10-4-3 with two games remaining, while Whitworth improved to 9-8-1 overall.

Johnathan Guglielmetti scored the tying goal for the Pirates at 71:18. Britton Clifford produced the game-winning goal for Whitworth at 97:50 in the first overtime.

Through Saturday's action, the Bearcats are third in the NWC with a 7-4-1 record (22 points). The Pirates are in fourth place, one point behind Willamette, with a 7-5-0 mark (21 points). Whitman College at 10-2-0 (30 points) and Pacific Lutheran University at 9-1-2 (29 points) are battling for first place and have clinched the top two spots in the final standings.

Sato's goal gave Willamette an early lead. He scored after gaining control of the rebound on a shot by Carter McCleary (Jr., F, Port Hadlock, WA/Chimacum HS) that was blocked. Whitworth gained a lim 7-6 edge in total shots in the first half, but the Bearcats held a 3-2 advantage in shot on goal and took a 1-0 lead into the break.

The goal by Sato moved him into a tie with Nicholas Ballenger (Sr., F, Salem, OR/West Salem HS/Oregon State Univ.) for first on the Willamette team with six goals. Sato is Willamette's overall scoring leader with 18 total points, including six assists.

As Whitworth pushed to create scoring chances in the second half, the Pirates forced Willamette goalkeeper Mason Kelliher (Sr., Wellington, N.Z./Wellington College) to make saves on a shot by Drew Williams at 53:08 and shot by Chase Reidt at 55:16. Max Berner-Hays (Jr., D, Seattle, WA/Ballard HS) earned a shot for the Bearcats on a header that led to a save by Whitworth goalie Bo Broyles at 70:22.

Less than a minute later, Berner-Hays received a yellow card for a foul at 71:33. Guglielmetti scored for the Pirates on the ensuing free kick.

A bit later, Berner-Hays was called for a second yellow-card infraction and was given a red card. Willamette competed with 10 players for the final 17:12 of regulation and all of overtime.

After the goal by Gulielmetti, there was only one more shot during the regulation 90 minutes. The shot was taken by Reidt of Whitworth at 87:58, but a Willamette defender blocked the attempt.

With its man-advantage carrying into overtime, Whitworth was able to outshoot the Bearcats 4-0 during the extra session. Lincoln Oishi shot high at 92:00, and Guglielmetti took a shot that was saved by Kelliher at 92:43. Guglielmetti missed wide right at 95:05. Britton scored the game-winning goal with 2:10 left in the first overtime after Kelliher was forced to leave the goal line to defend. Britton lifted his shot over Kelliher and into the net.

Whitworth outshot Willamette by a 16-11 margin overall and 7-4 in shots on goal. The Pirates also created a 5-1 advantage in corner kicks.

The Bearcats will play at Whitman College on Sunday, Nov. 3. Game time is scheduled for 1:30 p.m. (PST).