Dineen Scores with 37 Seconds Left in Regulation, as Bearcats Tie Boxers, 1-1

Dineen Scores with 37 Seconds Left in Regulation, as Bearcats Tie Boxers, 1-1

By Robert McKinney, Athletics Communications Director, (503) 370-6110

FOREST GROVE, ORE. -- Willamette University and Pacific University battled to a 1-1 tie in two overtimes during a Northwest Conference men's soccer game on Sunday, Oct. 16 at Lincoln Park Stadium. Brendan Dineen (Sr., D, Portland, OR/Grant HS) scored Willamette's goal with 37 seconds left in regulation, after Mason Nakama scored at 67:45 to give Pacific a 1-0 lead.

The Bearcats moved to 5-5-2 on the season with a 4-4-1 NWC record. Pacific went to 4-8-1 overall, 4-4-1 in the NWC. The teams remained tied for fifth place in the NWC standings with 13 points, two points behind Puget Sound (5-4) and Whitman (5-4), who share third place.

Willamette outshot Pacific, 26-14, during the match, but the Boxers took a 1-0 lead on Nakama's goal midway through the second half. Nakama shot from 20 yards into the left corner of the goal.

The end of regulation featured a flurry of activity around each team's goalkeeper. First, Willamette earned five shots and two corner kicks in the final five minutes. The pressure finally paid off when Dineen scored from eight yards out at 89:23. He was assisted on the play by Trevor Jensen (So., MF, Chula Vista, CA/Bonita Vista HS) and Robin Hryciuk (So., D, Snohomish, WA/Glacier Peak HS).

Dineen's goal occurred several seconds after an initial shot by Hryciuk that was saved by Pacific goalkeeper Michael Summers.

Also taking shots in the closing minutes for Willamette were Etienne Galbreath (Jr., D, Portland, OR/Grant HS) at 85:45, Mike McGrew (Jr., MF, Portland, OR/Grant HS) at 88:30 and Timothy Ikehara-Martin (Jr., MF, Vancouver, WA/Heritage HS) at 88:37.

Pacific managed to create two scoring chances in the final seconds of regulation. Nakama had a shot blocked by the defense at 89:45 and Alex Arrington missed wide of the goal at 89:50.

The Boxers gained a 5-2 advantage in shots during the two 10-minute overtimes, including a 3-0 edge in the first extra session. WU goalkeeper Alfredo Zuniga (Sr., Salem, OR/South Salem HS) recorded saves on two shots in the first overtime and one shot in the second overtime.

Nick Rudella had two shots for Pacific in the first overtime, including a shot that went wide as time expired.

Jensen headed the ball on target for Willamette early in the second overtime at 101:14, but Summers made a save. Antonio Maddedu of Pacific sent a shot wide at 106:50 and McGrew took a shot for Willamette that went high at 108:02. Maddedu achieved the game's final shot with 46 seconds remaining. Zuniga responded a save on the play.

WU held a solid 15-5 edge in shots during the scoreless first half. Summers earned four saves in the opening 45 minutes to keep Willamette off the scoreboard.

Summers and Zuniga each played all 110 minutes of the contest. Summers contributed eight saves for Pacific, while Zuniga was credited with four saves for the Bearcats.

Erik Kaufman (Jr., F, Portland, OR/Grant HS) led all players with six total shots. McGrew and Galbreath each added four shots. Maddedu was the top shooter for Pacific with four attempts.

Willamette will take on Pacific Lutheran University on Saturday, Oct. 22 at Sparks Field. Game time is slated for 2:30 p.m. (PDT). The Bearcats upset PLU, 2-1, on Sept. 18. In the NWC Preseason Poll, the Lutes were picked to win the NWC title.

NOTE: Photo courtesy of Calder Productions.

Willamette University 1
Pacific University 1 (2 OT)

Brendan Dineen scored Willamette's goal in the 1-1 tie with Pacific.