Bearcats Earn Key Road Point with 0-0 Tie in Two Overtimes at Puget Sound

Kristen Barclay (So., GK, Kenmore, WA/Cedar Park Christian School)
Kristen Barclay (So., GK, Kenmore, WA/Cedar Park Christian School)

By Robert McKinney, Assistant Athletics Director, Communications

TACOMA, Wash. -- Goalkeeper Kristen Barclay (So., GK, Kenmore, WA/Cedar Park Christian School) earned seven saves and the Willamette University Bearcats picked up an important road point in the Northwest Conference standings with a 0-0 tie in two overtimes against University of Puget Sound on Saturday, Oct. 7. The Bearcats moved to 7-2-2 overall, 4-2-1 in the NWC. The Loggers went to 5-3-3 on the season, 3-2-2 in the NWC.

Willamette is third in the NWC standings with 13 points. Puget Sound is fourth with 11 points.

"This was definitely a game that tested us physically," Willamette Head Coach Hillary Arthur said. "Our defense played well limiting Puget Sound's shots on goal. Our midfield did a solid job working on both sides of the ball, and our attackers were dangerous at creating scoring opportunities.

Barclay, who played all 110 minutes, has two solo shutouts and three combined shutouts on the season. Jamie Lange of Linfield also recorded a complete-game shutout with four saves.

In the first half, both teams took four total shots and placed two shots on goal. Barclay and Lange responded as each goalie registered two saves. Karmen Chavez-Sam (Jr., D, Eastvale, CA/Eleanor Roosevelt HS) and Emmy Manset (Sr., F, Ventura, CA/Foothill Technology HS) had Willamette's shots on goal, while Genevieve Cheathan and Elizabeth McGraw took shots on goal for the Loggers.

Willamette outshot the Puget Sound 5-3 in the second half, as each team tacked on two additional shots on goal. Puget Sound gained a 5-1 edge in total shots during the overtime sessions, witth two shots in the first overtime and three in the second overtime.

The closest shot to ending the game was taken by Cheatham just under three minutes into the first overtime at 92:58. Cheatham's shot hit the crossbar. A bit later, Barclay saved a shot by Tayla MacPherson at 97:15.

Manset of Willamette recorded the first shot of the second overtime at 101:48, but the ball went wide of the goal. MacPherson attempted to score for Puget Sound about a minute later, but Barclay made a save. Tess Peppis put a shot over the goal at 108:24 for the Loggers. MacPherson took the game's final shot which was saved by Barclay at 108:24.

Puget Sound held a 12-10 edge in total shots during the game and also owned a 7-4 margin in shots on target. MacPherson led all players with four total shots and four shot son goal. Puget Sound took two corners kicks, while Willamette received one corner kick.

The Bearcats will play at home on Sunday, Oct. 8 against George Fox University. Game time at Sparks Field is set for 12 p.m. (PDT).